How to eliminate fake smiles during your session
How to Get Real, Genuine Smiles From Your Kids
Kids are completely unpredictable. They can be so adorable and easy going and laughing uncontrollably one minute, and the next minute, turn that charm off completely. They will typically smile for you all day long until you put them in front of a camera, then they freeze up like a deer in headlights. We want to avoid those forced smiles that all moms know 'not their real smile' during our session.
I have spent almost 10 years photographing kids and have learned a few tricks and I am not afraid to jump, hop, or make crazy noises to get those 'real smiles'.
So your at home and want to capture some of those in the moment real smiles, what's a mom to do?
Here are some things you can do:
1. Talk about your kids fav things. Food, you can't go wrong with food. Ask them who makes the best food dad or mom? and you get lots of funny expressions and smiles!
2. Bring out all the impressions you know.. I mean if you can squawk like a bird do it!
3. Be a story teller! Kids love stories! Especially when it involves bugs, worms, and dare I say poop!
4. Play games.. like telephone. This is fun and if played well you can get some fun reactions. It's also not so wild that if it gets a tiny crazy you can reign them in.
5. Use picture words to describe what you want them to do. Like if you want your kids to snuggle close for a photo.. say, " Pretend your all on the couch watching said movie and you get close like you all have glue stuck to your shoulders.." then they can do it the way you want without less confusion instead of just saying get close.
6. Smarties. Yep I reward kids with smarties- when I remember to bring them! If there's a few things I want the kids to do but they seem a tiny bit uncooperative I reward kids with them and even adult like them!!
Okay those are some of my tips!! Let me know if you try any!!